Monday, July 12, 2010

eleanor rigby? no...

Eleanor McCain rocks!


Her quilts blew me away when I encountered them for the first time on dearada.
She gets so much range out of repeating simple shapes and then varying their size and color.
I turned her work into a collaborative project with each of my 2nd grade classes.

I love collage. Students get to practice cutting and gluing, investigate different color relationships, and work with different types of shapes. And the results always seem to come out top notch.



Eleanor was very kind to me and the students after I contacted her about the project. She passed on much praise to the students for the excellent work they did. I have written an article for an art education magazine and when it gets published Eleanor will link it to her site. Cool.

11 comments:

  1. Do you mind if I do this project with my students? Its really fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it! After you try it out, I'd love to see some pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your display of the paper quilts. They remind me of the quilts of Gee's Bend in Alabama.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maravilloso trabajo! felicitaciones!!!Un saludo Ana
    http://plasticaenla5del11.blogspot.com.ar/2014/06/lineas-en-el-plano.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so wonderful! Love your students' work!

    Did you get the article published? If so, which magazine?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so wonderful! Love your students' work!

    Did you get the article published? If so, which magazine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Kerri! It was published in the october 2012 issue of arts & activities.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful artwork! Would you be willing to share the lesson?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have no idea how you got 2nd graders to produce this. It's amazing! Any tips?

    ReplyDelete